Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hebrews 1:10-11

And, in the beginning, you, Lord, founded the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.
They will perish, but you will continue through, and they all will become old (worn) as a garment.

Now here is an altogether incredible statement about Jesus.

These verses are taken from Psalm 102. It is a great Psalm if you have the chance to read it. A man who is at one of his low states in life calls out to God and finds hope in the eternal essence and ever-extending mercy of our Lord.

One of the craziest parts of these verses, is that they are originally words addressed to God the Father. Paul here though (being inspired by the Holy Spirit) takes the liberty and applies them to Jesus. It always floors me to think that someone who altogether appeared as a man and was in fact a man, can receive this kind of worship.

It read that Jesus was there at the beginning (Genesis 1, John 1). In fact, he was the one laying the foundations of the earth and placing the sun, moon, and stars in the sky. He is before all. Before him nothing was created or existed.

And creation itself wears like an old garment. It is not eternal and it will not last forever. Personally I try to wear clothes far longer than anyone really should, you can ask my wife. In fact, I regularly wear clothes that were made before I was born. And I use to wear shirts that I wore when I was in Jr. High (but my wife got rid of them, which is probably for the best). When you see your cloths fading, remember that all of creation is like that. Animals, plants, even the earth and the heavens are here today but in their due time fade away (at this point I am singing "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas to accompany my point). But the creator, God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, will always be. That is their nature. In fact, one of God's names in the OT is simply I AM. He is the one who exists, before, now, and always.

These verses themselves are part of the larger picture (Jesus is greater than any other spiritual force) which we will continue to look at. But this is a great individual concept to meditate on: Jesus, the one who reigns, the one who purified us from sin, is forever. Our surroundings and circumstances will change and fade. But he is always there.

No comments:

Post a Comment