Thursday, November 19, 2009

11/19

This next part perplexes and confuses me. Edwards writes about compassion, mercy, and generosity. And again these characteristics of a true Christian grow out from our justification (God forgiving us). These things do not cause us to receive salvation. As I heard it said, our sanctification does not cause our justification, but grows out from it.

First he connects all three as a common sisterhood of attributes. I will write want I know and understand, but I must confess that I have a lot to learn.

First, let's get an idea of what mercy is not. Mercy is not justice. In fact they are opposites. Justice is getting what you deserve. If my pay rate is $6.00 an hour and I work 3 hours, then it is just that I get $18.00. Justice is a good thing. If I only get $12, then injustice has occurred. However, if I work 3 hours and my boss gives me $1,000, then mercy, generosity, and compassion has occurred.

Second, what then is mercy? I would say that it is not getting what you deserve, but for your favor.

Third, how are mercy and generosity related? Mercy can take the form of generosity. Generosity is typically (but not necessarily) associated with money.

So this is the picture I have in my mind of mercy. Let's look at some of the Bible verses:

Psalm 37:21-22. Wicked people are cheap and cheats. But the righteous are generous (again a form of mercy). Psalm 37:26.

Matthew 5:7. And look here this is interesting. It is possible to be giving, but not generous. Matthew 23:23.

Hosea 6:6, which is quoted many times in the New Testament. In fact, Jesus quoted it several times. In Matthew 9:13, he says it to the Pharisees when they ask him why he would have dinner with the scum of the earth. And he quotes it at the Pharisees again in Matthew 12:7, when the call Jesus' disciples out for breaking the Sabbath traditions.

We need to be fond of mercy and make it part of our lives because 1) Mercy is the foundation of our salvation and 2) it is an attribute of God that we copy. God was merciful to us by defeating the devil, forgiving us, and freeing us from the bondage of sin. We do not do anything to deserve it. Jesus did not die because we were so lovable. It is God's mercy that he went to the cross. Not only that but he is merciful by providing us with food (in abundance) and with it the sun and rain.

Check out Matthew 18:15-35 to get a clear understanding of Jesus' teaching on the necessity of mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment